Thursday, September 11, 2008

Quick action needed for Hurricane Ike

Massive evacuations are taking place along much of the Texas Coast as Hurricane Ike is just two days away from predicted landfall.

One thing I have found out. This storm is too massive. The effects too widespread for me to keep up with. I first started this site to try to chronicle layman's view as it pushed its way toward New Orleans. I got carried away with the track and meteorolgy of it.

I have listed several news sites on the right hand column. I urge you if you are along the Gulf Coast to turn on your TV, your radio or your internet and get accurate local information about the effects this storm will have on your location. You don't have much time to take appropriate action.

Indeed in the New Orleans area we are already under a tropical storm warning even though forecasted land fall for the storm will be more than 300 miles away. (see the NOAAWatch.gov map of warnings along the Gulf Coast for Hurricane Ike)

WeatherUnderground.com is showing our area can expect a 6 to 9 foot surge. The rain at my place has just started falling and it sounds like large drops on the windows. We will have strong and gusty winds today and tomorrow.

If you live in low lying areas, please find out what the storm surge will be in your area. You have little time to take action.

--steve buser

No comments: